Screw G.E.

When it comes to school, I enjoy it. Mostly.

However, there are some things that I absolutely hate. Like math.

I am an English major. When the hell am I EVER going to have to know the quadratic formula?!?!??! (which is -b+/- the square root of b squared - 4ac all over 2a. I know this by heart. This disturbs me greatly.) Would you like to know WHY I know this by heart? Because I have taken this stupid algebra class five times. F I V E T I M E S. And the shitty thing is it’s a stupid pre-req. It doesn’t even really count. I get to take another math class after this.

When it comes to English, or history, or science, or art, or whatever, I do well. It’s enjoyable, and I don’t mind sitting through the classes. However, I don’t care, I literally do not care, except to the extent that it makes me angry, about math. I know how to add. I know how to do percentages. I know how to do the basic every day arithmetic problems that I will need to know how to do for the rest of my life. I will never need to know the square root of 596038420934. I will never need to know how to find the angle of a triangle when it’s submerged in water on a -750 axis, or whatever. So fuck you.

I might be slightly angry because I just don’t get it. But why the hell do I have to? If someone is going to be an engineer, they should have to know how to write basic proposals, and that’s fine. But they shouldn’t have to go through extensive English and history classes just to meet GE requirements.

It will never come in handy.

So to the genius that decided that we all needed to be well rounded in a society where being a renaissance person is no longer considered important, I have to words for you:

Bite me.

No comments:

Post a Comment